Focus, Focus…

You know the hard part about being part of a community? Not losing your focus.

I’m a firm believer in doing what you can, where you can. I believe that people are more important than organizations and systems, and that doing what you can as an individual can make a more lasting impact than any organization.

However, like many people, I fall into the trap of being part of something greater than myself. I get lost in fixing “the system”, because “the system” stands for something greater, something bigger. and If we can just make “the system” work, the world will be a better place for everyone.

The simple fact is no system will ever be perfect. It is impossible to get a group of people to work completely in sync and toward the same goal, because everyone understands the goal differently. So fixing the system is completely impossible.

I’ve gotten caught up in systems, in details. So much so that I have neglected my people, and the needs I could provide for. This makes me a little sad with myself.

I am not promoting anarchy. Getting rid of the systems won’t help any more than getting caught up in them. The point is to focus on people.

No matter what, people have to come first.

Comments