Week One As a Published Author

You know what I hated most about college? Feeling stupid. Not in the classes; I was perfectly suited to those. No, what made me feel stupid was trying to jump through the administrative hoops in order to attend said classes.

As a freshman at university, you are thrown into a whirlwind of legalese, bureaucracy and process with only half an idea how to accomplish what you need. “Sign this, fill this out, pick the top five choices for where you want to live/eat/study- and oh by the way, cash, debit or loan? And would you like fries with that?”

And no matter how hard you research and study and prepare, you are hopelessly stuck in the space of, “Holy crap! What did I get myself into??”

This is the feeling I have revisited this past week as I try to navigate the waters of publishing and marketing.

I have spent the past seven years researching how to become an author. I have spent the past 2 years specifically reading blogs and books about how to self publish. I have participated in discussions, asked questions and watched other authors do ‘their thing’.

And yet, I STILL feel like I’m missing that crucial information, that golden key that will tell me if I’m “doing it right.”

Beneath my girlish squealing and hyperventilation, I have realized that I’m Okay.

I have accomplished my goal to get published, in the timeframe I had intended (No small feat, let me tell you!) and I have been ‘pre-seasoning” the market and building my fan base for over a year, so I honestly think I have a decent handle on my PR. but all the same…

Holy Crap! Look what I got myself into!!

This really is an exciting time for me. Knowing that people have bought my book throws me into giggle fits, at the same time as I’m biting my nails and trying not to hover over my reviews page. And I truly am figuring out this marketing thing, even if I feel a bit out of my element.

Now, to finish the next book! The return of Masonry will be coming soon folks! Stay tuned for blurbs and musings as I flush out the story of Alanor, and the crazy life she chooses for herself!

Comments